Apple’s new iPods are out and they’ve increased the gap vs. the competition, according to this WSJ review. Some highlights:
- The low-end ($299) model holds 10GB, or 2,500 songs. This is 50% more storage capacity for the same price.
- Other models: 15GB for $399 and 30GB for $499.
- One iPod version for both Macs and Windows PCs — software is provided for both.
- Thinner and lighter.
- Standard Firewire (1394) cable and an optional USB 2.0 cable.
- Improvement to an already excellent user interface.
- File compatibility with Apple’s AAC and more common MP3 compression formats.
- One downside: reduced battery life — 7.5 hours vs. 10-12 hours for old models.