This was e-mailed to me yesterday from a former American colleague (married with kids) who lives in Madrid, Spain…
Just in case you weren’t feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year’s incoming freshmen.
Here’s this year’s list: The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1986.
- They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
- Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
- The CD was introduced the year they were born.
- They have always had an answering machine.
- They have always had cable.
- They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
- Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
- Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
- They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
- They can’t imagine what hard contact lenses are.
- They don’t know who Mork was or where he was from.
- They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.
- McDonald’s never came in styrofoam containers.
- They don’t have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Well, ONE thing they do know about is Star Wars, thank goodness.